Sunday, August 22, 2021

Day 1: a bag of children's clothes

Bag full of children's clothes, with a Lego Star Wars person looking out of the top
Hello, and welcome to the first post in my blog about getting rid of my stuff, with the hopes that it might not come back if I say goodbye to it properly.

I actually donated this on Friday 20th August but it's taken me a couple of days to get round to setting the blog up. But hopefully now this is getting it off to a good start, and long may it continue.

The first thing to go was this bag of children's clothes and shoes (can I count this as extra things for when I miss a day?😁).

Charity collection bag
I've often been too sentimental about going through the kids' things and letting them go: so often, the things that have special meanings for them and for me aren't the same.

So I usually ask them to go through their rooms (often with my husband, who seems not to care about seeing the things go at all), and then I weed out anything I'd be too sorry to miss.

Then at some later point I go through those things, and sometimes wonder what I was thinking.

The bag itself was sent through the post by a charity, along with a note of their collection date and time, but they didn't come to collect it.

Perhaps it's because our front door isn't on the road. It's on the other side of the house, facing onto a square with a footpath, grass and a laundry area.

Here's a photo of the view from our front door:

View of front garde, path, gate and grassy square View from my front door in balmy Scotland. Also my awesome luminous fluffy sandals.

Possibly not very easy to collect from, or just not possible to see the bags from the road?

Anyway, it sat in our house for a couple of months, in the way of the airing rack where I dry the laundry, and eventually one day I got round to taking it all the way around the corner to a charity shop. Not the same charity, but the nearest one, and one of the few that are taking donations without appointments at the moment.

Thankfully, they were happy to take the bag, and I am already so thankful for the space it's left that I'm planning to make a new habit of this. They gave me a card with a bar code to use for Gift Aid on future donations too, and hopefully I will be using that again soon.

Chest, Heart and
Stroke shop Gift Aid card

Thank you, Chest, Heart and Stroke shop!

3 comments:

  1. You just reminded me that I have a bag of clothes that I need to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to donate some clothes too. I didn't do it in the spring, so I have to do it soon. I always clean out my closet at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We donate almost yearly to our local charity. We don't only donate clothes, we donate everything including furniture, food, books, etc...

    ReplyDelete