Sunday, August 22, 2021

Day 3: Youngest son's holey socks

It seems like only a few weeks since I bought him a pack of these socks in different colours, and he's gone through the big toes of nearly every pair already.

I checked his toenails in the night but they didn't seem that bad, so perhaps he's been growing again.

In the old days I expect they would have darned this sort of thing, but I'd only even consider that as a novelty for worn out favourite socks of my own: what's the point if he's grown out of them anyway?

If I had room to collect a lot of craft materials, they might have uses for that: perhaps for stuffing cushions, decorating or patching things.

The trouble is, I don't have room for all the worn out things I think I could use to make other things, and it's a shame because I think it could be fun.

I don't know of a way to recycle these locally. I once lived near a collection point for fabric recycling and that was great for this sort of thing: holey socks, stained baby grows, grotty T-shirts, etc.

But everywhere else I know of only collects clothes in resalable or wearable condition, and holey socks won't do for that.

So off to the bin they go.


No comments:

Post a Comment